Monday, October 28, 2013
The Essay
I personally really appreciate and enjoy the essay "The Suitcase Lady" by Christie McLaren. It's a beautiful, raw, and layered story about the unanimousness of the homeless. It gives the reader a sense of nothingness and anonymousness. There's a certain delicacy to the homeless lady in the story, and its inevitable to not necessarily pity, but actually sympathize with her. The story is very tragic, and it's very honest. I think I personally enjoy this piece because I am from Toronto. I also generally enjoy pieces that discuss being "lost" and "anonymous."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think that the author's ability to describe the woman and make us feel sympathy for her is truly amazing. I also agree on the part where you wrote "...layered story about the unanimousness of the homeless" The experience of reading this essay and feeling sympathy towards the woman is surreal. This essay generally changes people's perspectives towards the homeless and I personally think that it makes people who have a heart pay more attention to the homeless and hopefully help them when they see one. Good post.
ReplyDelete